Wedding Trends: Tips for a Gothic Wedding
Deep colors, elegant food, antique décor, and the feeling of mystery are some of the elements of a modern Gothic wedding. Although Gothic weddings have previously been seen as unconventional, more and more brides are turning their attention to this sophisticated wedding theme. Some people might think that a Gothic wedding means Halloween decorations and costumes, but that is far from the truth. Unique Venues is excited to share five tips for brides who are planning a charming Gothic wedding.
1. The Colors – When you’re planning your Gothic wedding, you want to choose colors that are dark but still tasteful. Some examples would be deep purples, blood reds, starry blues, and of course, black. Once you choose your dark palette, use these colors for bridesmaids’ dresses, in your flower bouquet, for groomsmen’s attire, or for your decorations throughout the venue. By using these deep colors, you are already on your way to creating an extravagant theme for your wedding.
2. The Venue – Whichever theme you pick, choosing your venue for your wedding can be a difficult decision. For a Gothic wedding, lean more towards venues that boast antique architecture and offer an elegant feeling with high hung chandeliers and an elaborate staircase. From the outside, choosing a Gothic style stone structure or 1920s era mansion would set the mood for your guests from the time they arrive at the venue. After you choose your venue, dress it up with décor to help set the mood of your glamorous Gothic wedding. Some unique spaces and venues to fit the Gothic theme include Fonthill Castle in Doylestown, PA, Iolani Palace in Honolulu, HI, and Hammond Castle Museum in Gloucester, MA.
3. The Décor – For a sophisticated Gothic wedding, some of the best choices for decorations are antique candelabras and hints of velvet or lace. Use candlesticks and your choice of flowers as centerpieces and have the venue lit by candlelight. Go over the top with your table settings to add an elegant touch for your guests. The atmosphere you want to create with your venue décor should be classy but a little edgy.
4. The Flowers – From the bride’s bouquet and the groom’s boutonniere to the table centerpieces and venue decorations, flowers play an important role for every wedding. For a Gothic wedding, opt for flowers such as different shades of red roses, deep purple calla lilies, and greenery. Add touches of greenery throughout your venue for an easy and charming decoration.
5. The Bride – Last but certainly not least are tips for the bride. When choosing your dress, you have many options. Some brides will choose a black lace dress while others will choose a white dress with black accents. A bold, but elegant choice we have seen brides rock is a dark red tulle dress with touches of black. Whatever you choose, we are sure you will look stunning! Have fun with other elements of your look such as your manicure, makeup, and shoes. Go for a black matte or deep purple manicure. When choosing your makeup, vintage Gothic makeup is the way to go. False eyelashes, smoky eyes, and winged eyeliner are the perfect combination to make you feel sophisticated but edgy. Red, deep purple, or black lip stain will have you smiling all night long. Dance the night away in black or red high heels to add a statement piece to your outfit. And most importantly, it is a day focused around you and your partner, so enjoy it!
To learn more about our wedding venues, visit www.uniquevenues.com/unique-wedding-venues for more tips and to get a quote on the perfect backdrop to your Gothic nuptials.
Do you have a Gothic venue that you want to list on our wedding venue directory? Click here to learn more.